Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Something to Think About


Sorry Justin, I totally stole your picture ;-). Jessica and I watched the TV show "24" last night. (We had to Tivo it because of a "Heroes" party...not my choice to watch Heroes over 24...but we had fun) Anyways, there is a very gross scene where Morris...shown above...is tortured into arming a device that would blow up three nuclear bombs in the US at any time the terrorists would choose. The terrorist drills a hole in Morris' shoulder and then tells him that he will continue to drill holes until he either arms the device or dies of shock/loss of blood. WOW! Well, he sacrifices the lives of thousands of Americans so that he won't go through this torture and he arms the device.

This got me thinking about the end times. I know there are Christians who are being tortured today because of their faith, but we here in the US are pretty safe from that stuff. We have laws that protect citizens from that kind of treatment. What if we didn't have those kinds of laws? What if we didn't have that freedom? Here's the question: How many times would someone have to drill holes in you for you to deny Christ?

I think Morris went into that torture thinking, "I'll never cooperate!" It was completely different as he felt the pain and thought about the upcoming pain. This causes me to question my loyalty to Christ and to look inside myself to see how serious I am about my faith.

5 comments:

McQuearyClan said...

Thank you for sharing. I, too, have often thought about how much I could take...how serious am I? If you get a chance, check out my blog. I just started reading a good book about faith.

Justin and Bethany said...

I guess, in that particular situation, I would just figure that I'm going to die anyway, so why not do it the right way. I mean, as soon as Morris finished the job, Fayed gave the order to kill him. I'm pretty sure it would be the same with denying Christ. Hearing me denounce my faith is all for the aggressors personal benefit, to prove a point so to speak, and as soon as I said it, he/she/they would probably kill me anyway. I know that it's hard to say until that moment arrives, but just like you can never trust terrorists, you can never trust the devil. Also, on a far less serious note, "Heroes" is a good show, but "24" is legendary. I guess we know what it takes to make you change your mind about the things you love (totally just kidding). Did they threaten to feed you brownies or some other party food? It was the beer wasn't it? TN people love their moonshine, don't they. My, my, my how you've changed. And to you Jack will say, "Jeremy, I knew you not."

Jeremy said...

It was popcorn. I'm so ashamed.

McQuearyClan said...

24 is just getting silly...President Logan????

mooma said...

Actually that would be ex-President Logan. It is awesome that they can continue to "kill" someone off or make them disappear, but have the great foresight to never say never. I do watch some shows that are so far-fetched there is no way that it could be real, but as in life some of the things could actually happen (think of ex-President Logan as Bill Clinton) that American people could have him back in the White House sitting second chair if they are not careful!