Monday, April 28, 2008

Stupid Things That People Say To You When You're Pregnant

So now that I am 5+ months pregnant I've had the joy of experiencing really bad things that people say to you when you're pregnant. I'm not putting them in a top ten list type order or anything, just laying them out there. If you're reading this and realize that you have been in fact one of those people who have said one of these things to me, don't take it personal, just roll w/it.

1. Talking about how much you are showing. Here are a few of the ones I've encountered: * Wow! You're already showing (The instant that you tell them you are having a baby.) * You're getting really big! (Like I didn't notice that when my clothes stopped fitting). * Are you sure you're not having twins? (I think this person said it as a joke but I'm not sure.)
It's not that this one is really all that bad b/c it is obvious that I'm going to get bigger, it's just that I never know how to respond. And it makes me paranoid that I'm too big for how far along I am.

2. "If you eat cold lunch meat you could kill your baby. Is lunch meat really that important to you?" Someone actually said these words to me. I know that you can't eat cold lunch meat b/c of lysteria (a weird bacteria) but I was asking about heating it up and this was the response I got from a co-worker.

3. Picture this - A child about two or three throwing a fit so bad that I'm pretty sure their head is going to start spinning around a la excorcist style. The parent everytime w/o fail looks at me and says "See what you have to look forward to." Again - how am I supposed to respond to this? Wow - I am so excited, thanks for the encouragement.

4. In a tone that sounds like I have a terminal illness asking "How are you feeling?". Here it's not the question that's the problem, it's the way that it's asked. Seriously people, I'm pregnant, I don't have cancer.

That's all I can think of right now although I'm sure that there will be more to come as time goes on!

3 comments:

RCO Banks said...

Just F.Y.I. I ate cold lunch meat all the time when I was pregnant. I have NEVER heard that bit of info before.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I said you looked like you are starting to show,,,

Anonymous said...

wow..people are really special.